That being said, my confidence did waiver a bit during the several visits that we made to the computer store during our computer's repair. Wren was drawn to the computers. There were age appropriate games loaded for him. He was, from what I could tell, the least inclined child there to jump in and run. He is not mouse savvy (beyond clicking), so he was asking us for help. While other toddlers we moving their mouses and clicking about. It kind of freaked me out. Seeing two and three year olds navigating.
Does this mean that they spend time at home on computers rather than playing? Shouldn't they be eating paste and learning their ABC's? Shouldn't they be making mud pies? Collecting sticks and bugs? Making art projects?
I was also concerned because I don't want Wren to be behind. Can you believe I am even saying that about a 2.5 year old? Oy! It's true, though. The more I look around, the more I notice toddlers with access to this technology.
So, Jesse and I had a talk. I mentioned maybe saving up for an iPod or an iPad for Wren. One loaded with these age appropriate apps, his own photos, music, etc. But we decided that isn't the course to take. It's so disheartening to go out to eat and see families sitting together, yet there is little interaction going on because the children have their faces glued to their gadgets. Why is it so acceptable these days to whip your phone out and start checking messages, texting, or playing games when you have someone across from you who would love to speak with you? This aspect of "advancement" is rude in our humble opinions.
Our solution? We will load the age-appropriate apps onto our one and only home computer. Wren will have supervised, timed sessions to familiarize and enjoy himself. This will fulfill his curiosity and basic computer skills. Then it will be back to dance, music, gardening, cars, sticks, moons, stars, books, coloring, etc.
In all honesty, we would rather save up for a Wren-sized drum kit anyway. ;-)